Tuesday 12 January 2010

Overdue Post! Soundtrack!

Soundtrack wise, I found some commentary for the Liverpool vs Chelsea Champions league final highlights and the Argentina vs Serbia World Cup match highlights. I cut these up in Premier and placed them into my animatic, adding some commentary to the story. I tried to have the commentary mirror what was happening in the main action itself, even if it was vague, I like the effect. If possible, I will get in contact with AFC Bournemouth and ask to see if I can use some of their past match highlights to cut up and use.

Having just commentary made me feel like something was missing. I watched some old school Tom and Jerry episodes and noticed how it had light hearted music playing in the background, but dropped to a low volume when something was being said that was of significance.

Tom and Jerry:


I made a search for some light hearted piano music, because I felt piano music would convey light heartedness in the most effective way as compared to a guitar or synths. Also, old black and white movies’ soundtracks were done live on piano as the film was playing, so wanted to have that feeling come across someway; a Laurel and Hardy/Charlie Chaplin-esque way.

Laurel and Hardy:


Charlie Chaplin:


I came across a piece of music by Scott Joplin called “Original Rags” (1899). I put it into my animatic to see how it would work and it seems to tie in nicely with the action, the commentary can be heard just above it when needed so fits well there. I like the pace and light heartedness it adds to the film. The piano piece itself is rather playful in nature which is a bonus.

"Original Rags" by Scott Joplin:

No comments:

Post a Comment