Sunday 31 January 2010

A Few Things

Hey hey everyone :)
*Tumbleweed...*
Right! Time for an update of everything I've been up to.
I admit I'm falling behind. Even though I'm working everyday morning till night and then some, just seems like I'm not making any progress. Bit annoying I haven't started animation yet. Sorry folks, here's hoping after the last couple of weeks, things will pick up from here :)

The whole rigging and skinning of Axl hasn't gone as smoothly as I would've liked, UV mapping problems, rigs breaking, skinning failing, max crashing..etc, but I have learnt alot from it. It was a pain staking process, but I think I am there.

Here's the latest of Axl, all skinned and rigged now:



I guess I feel like I haven't gotten anywhere cos of the amount of circles I've been going in. It was pointed out that it didn't seem like I knew what I wanted, so I spent some time looking into what I wanted the film to be like.

I've made a few changes to the film. I've been playing around with the paint and ink maps in Max, creating a cell shaded look. After re-texturing and re-skinning (for the millionth time) Axl, I really like the new look. I find it captures the 2D-ness I wanted. I'm aware Cell shading is tacky, but I like the sketchy look, it breaks away from the clean 3D that everyone is doing nowadays.

I'm pretty proud of the eyes, I've managed to have working pupils adn eyelids so I shall make full use of those come animating. Seeing as there isn't dialogue and it is heavily body languaged based, I think this is a good outcome considering the amount of fails I've encountered so far. Also managed to get a working shine to them, so any light that hits the eye gives a little sparkle, adding a bit of life to the character. The one thing I really want to avoid are "dead" eyes. That and a crap film...

Here's the 3D version of Axl with snazzy eyes:




The scenery has taken a heavy makeover, the scene before wasn't to my liking, playing with cell shading techniques on here as well, adding textures on top, recreated the good old school backgrounds that I wanted. I guess my aim is to create something old school with new touches; recreating 2d in CGi. Ah, the world of postmodernism we live in.
I'm getting quite heavy influence from Tom and Jerry cartoons, still abit of work to be done on the set, but I'm Xref-ing the set into each scene I'm going to be working on, so I can update the set and it'll update all the scenes accordingly, saving me alot of time.

Cell Shade experiment:


The 3D eyes didn't work as well as I would've thought, So I cell shaded them as well, trying to maintain the sparkle, which I think I managed to do;



Here's Mr. Axl sat on the sofa (Mind whre you put your hand sir). The sofa needs an added layer of colour so it doesn't look so flat, so I'm on that now...And I'm aware that Axl's hand is going through his thigh. but this was just a test to see how things looked together.



In the previous picture he's got a stronger outline compared to this image. I think I prefer the stronger outline. Makes him stand out more and appear more cartoony. Into Max I go to fix that!
Here's hoping huge amounts of progress will be made from here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment